The Pharmepa® RESTORE & MAINTAIN™ protocol is an advanced nutritional supplement regime formulated to restore optimal wellbeing through managing an important inflammatory biomarker – the AA to EPA ratio. Low-grade inflammation plays a role in a host of conditions affecting mood and energy balance to cholesterol management and heart health. Restoring health and vitality naturally requires a two-step nutritional approach that targets and manages chronic inflammation.
RESTORE & MAINTAIN™ has been developed for:
- Mood balance & mental performance
- Energy management & reduction of fatigue
- Cholesterol management & heart health
- Immune support
- Chronic inflammatory conditions
The body requires a specific ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids to function optimally. Consumption of meat from land-based animals fed on grains high in omega-6 fatty acids, together with increased use of vegetable oils such as corn, sunflower and safflower, has led to a rise in intake of omega-6 fatty acids in the West, while omega-3 intake has declined. The ideal ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 is in the region of 2:1, yet the average diet is now quite significantly out of balance at an average of approximately 25:1 and is correlated with a wide range of inflammatory health conditions. The two-step RESTORE & MAINTAINTM therapeutic protocol is aimed at managing inflammation within the body by manipulating the ratio of the key omega-6 and omega 3 fatty acids AA and EPA – a scientifically recognised biomarker of inflammation within the body. [1-3]
The AA to EPA ratio – the inflammation biomarker
A low AA to EPA ratio of less than 3 but not less than 1.5 indicates a better balance of ‘anti-inflammatory’ to ‘inflammatory’ products in the body. If the body reaches a ratio of 7 or over, this suggests that the body is in a state of ‘silent inflammation’ and at a higher risk of developing inflammatory-based conditions. Anything exceeding a ratio of 15 means a high level of inflammation, common to many inflammatory conditions.
Who is at risk of a high AA to EPA ratio?
Individuals eating a typical fast-food or processed Western-style diet are likely to have an AA to EPA ratio that will increase their risk of developing inflammatory-based conditions. Developing an anti-inflammatory treatment regime is therefore aimed at preventing or reducing the accumulation of AA from the diet. By reducing AA we reduce the substrate for the formation of inflammatory products.
The introduction of a two-step programme of supplementation works in a ‘two-pronged’ approach. ‘Pre-loading’ the body with pure EPA acts favourably to restore a healthy omega-6 to omega-3 ratio (specifically the AA to EPA ratio). Once this is achieved and the optimal balance of AA to EPA products is restored, the second step is to reintroduce a specific anti-inflammatory omega-6 fatty acid (GLA), which acts synergistically with EPA, thus continuing to soften the inflammatory effects of AA and its products but supporting the body’s omega-3 requirements.
Know your AA to EPA ratio with the Opti-O-3 test
It is now possible to measure your AA to EPA ratio with a simple non-invasive finger prick test that can be used at home, with no need to visit your GP. The Opti-O-3 service measures the fatty acid content of red blood cell membranes to determine what your current AA to EPA ratio is, together with the ideal omega-3 dose you need to restore your omega-3 index and optimum EPA levels relative to AA, therefore protecting against inflammatory illness. This allows you to get the most from Pharmepa RESTORE & MAINTAIN, as you will know exactly how much EPA is needed to balance your AA to EPA ratio, giving you the best starting point for choosing the product that is right for you at the right dose to ensure you get the full benefits of supplementation.
The Pharmepa® RESTORE & MAINTAIN™ protocol guide
This two-step approach acts to restore healthy omega-3 levels before introducing the health benefits of omega-6 GLA, for long-term omega-3 and omega-6 management.
Pharmepa® RESTORE (re-esterified triglyceride EPA 90% 1000 mg) contains the highest strength and most body-ready form of EPA omega-3 available without prescription. This product is suitable for counteracting omega-3 deficiencies and restoring a healthy omega-6 to omega-3 ratio that reflects favourably on the balanced production of AA- and EPA-derived eicosanoids. Pharmepa RESTORE is ideal for people who have never supplemented with pure EPA or those who have taken a break from omega-3 EPA supplementation.
- Adults and children aged twelve years and over should take 1-2 capsules daily for a period of three months.
- Children aged four to twelve years should take 1 capsule daily for a period of three months.
Pharmepa® MAINTAIN combines the benefits of 80% EPA and DHA concentrate with GLA and vitamins D3 & E. This unique patented formulation is designed to balance and maintain healthy levels of omega-3 and omega-6 derived eicosanoids. This product is suitable for long-term use after supplementing with pure EPA (RESTORE). Alternatively, long-term users of omega-3 supplements may skip RESTORE and take MAINTAIN as a maintenance supplement.
- Adults and children aged twelve years and over should take 2-4 capsules daily for long-term management.
- Children aged four to twelve years should take 1 capsule daily for long-term management.
Pharmepa® RESTORE & MAINTAIN should be taken with food for optimum absorption and taken as a split dose where appropriate. It is not advisable to exceed the above dose unless advised by a healthcare practitioner.
1. Rupp H, Wagner D, Rupp T, Schulte LM, Maisch B: Risk stratification by the “EPA+DHA level” and the “EPA/AA ratio” focus on anti-inflammatory and antiarrhythmogenic effects of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids. Herz 2004, 29:673-685.
2. Caspar-Bauguil S, Fioroni A, Galinier A, Allenbach S, Pujol MC, Salvayre R, Cartier A, Lemieux I, Richard D, Biron S, et al: Pro-inflammatory phospholipid arachidonic acid/eicosapentaenoic acid ratio of dysmetabolic severely obese women. Obesity surgery 2012, 22:935-944.
3. Rizzo AM, Corsetto PA, Montorfano G, Opizzi A, Faliva M, Giacosa A, Ricevuti G, Pelucchi C, Berra B, Rondanelli M: Comparison between the AA/EPA ratio in depressed and non depressed elderly females: omega-3 fatty acid supplementation correlates with improved symptoms but does not change immunological parameters. Nutrition journal 2012, 11:82.